Eagle Wisdom- Teaching I
I like to call this Virabhadrasana III Open Arms Variation (1), The Royal Eagle Asana. I LOVE this Asana. I practice it in Shiva times. Shiva the Lord of Chaos come into our lives and destroys everything. This is an essential part of the cycle of Life: Creation (Lord Brahma- Lady Saraswati)- Destruction (Lord Shiva- Lady Kali)- Conservation (Lord Vishnu- Lady Lakshmi). So in my life’s Shiva moments, when there are storms that require all my presence, I tune into the Royal Eagle essence and meditate on the principle that Eagles love storms because they use the storm winds to fly higher, above the clouds, gliding and resting its wings, while in the meantime, all the other birds hide in the leaves and branches of the trees.
We can use the storms of life to rise to greater heights. Achievers relish challenges and use them profitably.
“In the storms of life may your heart soar like an Eagle”
(1) Royal Eagle Asana Instructions
1- Warm up
2- Go into VIRABHADRASANA III- WARRIOR III Open Arms Variation Asana
1. From Mountain pose, step the right foot a foot lengths forward and shift all of your weight onto this leg.
2. Inhale the arms over your head and interlace the fingers, pointing the index finger up.
3. As you exhale, lift the left leg up and out, hinging at the hips to lower the arms and torso down towards the floor.
4. Look down at the floor and stare at a point for balance. Reach out through the left toes and the crown and fingers making one straight line.
5. Extend your arms to either side and imagine you were spreading your wings like an Eagle.
6. Breathe and hold for 2-6 breaths.
7. To release: inhale the arms up to lower the leg back to the floor and step both feet together back into Mountain pose.
8. Repeat on the other side.